Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Birthday Club


I’m in a birthday club that meets monthly for lunch.  We’ve been doing this for over ten years, long enough to get to know each other pretty well, to be completely free and comfortable around one another.  Which is a beautiful thing.  And much cheaper than therapy.  When we first started getting together our children were younger and we were always harried, barely able to spend an hour without having to jump up to go collect a child or hurry back to work.   Now our lunches can drag on for close to three hours, long enough for our waitress to go off shift and the restaurant to empty and the busboy to stand yawning in a corner.

          We are beautiful, self-assured, completely natural women, meaning there’s not a size two among us.  We’ve lived long enough to be comfortable in our own skins, to accept the sags and wrinkles and wobbly thighs that come with being mature, natural women.  So far, we’ve resisted the siren call of plastic surgery. 

          I tell you all of this because my husband always asks with astonishment, “What do you find to talk about for three hours?”  

          Here’s a sample:

          “I ran into Lucy Dillard.” Eye roll.  “She and Jack are getting ready to go to the Bahamas and she was bragging about having her bikini area waxed so she can wear her new thong.”  (We hate Lucy.)
   “I tried some of that Nair stuff once.  It was so painful, y’all.”
   “Is that the stuff that smells like rotten eggs?”
   “See, if you wear a swim skirt you don’t have to worry about hair.”
   “Not unless it hangs down below the edge of your skirt.”
   Laughter.
   “When Scott and I were going to Mexico on that business trip last year, I went to Target and bought one of those cute little elastic waist skirts that go over your suit.   It was in a zebra print, which for some reason I thought was stylish.  Apparently I was wrong.  Anyway, by the third day the elastic had stretched out so bad one side hung down lower than the other, which made me look kind of like a wounded zebra dragging a leg. Trust me, it was not a good look.  So I just pulled on a pair of shorts and told Scott he better not say a word.”
   “Did y’all hear they’re coming out with a line of Spanx swimsuits?”
   Much excitement here.
   “I tried one on but the problem is it squishes the fat from your waist down over your hips which is not really a good look either.”
   “Kind of like a reverse muffin top?”
   “Exactly.”

   If laughter truly is the best medicine, we should all live to be ninety. 






No comments: